I has originally wanted to make stuffed bell peppers but decided to experiment with this beautiful eggplant. I rarely measure anything out when I cook since I only cook for myself so excuse the crude estimations. This is a very basic recipe, but really yummy! Next time I make this I will add quinoa or rice.
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1/2 cup of tomatoes
1/4 cup of mushrooms
1/2 cup of spinach
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the eggplant lengthwise and then scoop out the insides, leaving just the skin (about a half inch of eggplant “meat” should be left attached to the skin). I chose to slice deep diagonal (criss cross) lines inside of the eggplant halves to help remove the insides. Place the insides of eggplant in a bowl and mix with a little bit of salt. The salt will help improve the flavor of this water heavy (to me) vegetable.
2. In a pan over medium heat, brown the onions, add in the mushrooms, tomatoes, and eggplant next. Cook till they are soft. Finally add the spinach to the vegetables.
3. Add the tomato sauce and lower the heat. Mix the “stuffing” up, add pepper and salt to taste.
4. Place the eggplant shells in an oven dish (I used a cast iron skillet). Scoop the mixture from the pan into the shells. It is okay if the vegetables overflow the eggplant. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add grated cheese atop the eggplant and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
6. The eggplants will be “leaking” juice so be careful when you remove them from the oven and onto plates. Enjoy.