1/4 cup of plain cream cheese
2 tbsps of strawberry cilantro preserves or any preserves you may want to use
2 tsp of honey
the filling should be to your own taste or texture preference, if it is too sweet or runny add more cream cheese.
1 cup of milk (i used 2%)
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp of sugar
8 slices of bread (i use wheat)
1. First mix the cream cheese, preserves and honey together in a small bowl. Once thoroughly mixed put the the side. Make sure the mixture is thick enough to spread.
2. Mix the eggs, milk, and sugar together in a bowl wide enough to dip the bread in full. (Soup bowls and saucers work well.)
3. Take one slice of bread and spoon the cream cheese filling in the middle. About 1 1/2 tbsp of the filling should be enough. Make sure it is spread out (not to all the way to the edges though), and not tearing the bread. Cover the cream cheese side with another slice of bread and PINCH the edges all around to seal in the filling. Please do this or else you will have no “stuffed French toast” and merely a mess.
4. Coat both sides of the pinched breads in the egg/milk mixture. Do not soak them so long that it breaks apart in the bowl!
5. Place the now soaked bread in a pan with butter over medium-low heat. Brown one side and then flip over to brown the other side. A spatula is needed to make this easy for you. Depending on how brown you want them, it should take no more than 5 minutes per stuffed French toast.
6. When done place on paper towels in a plate to soak up any left over butter. To serve, sprinkle with cinnamon and of course add maple syrup!